Connect


Sunday 8 October 2017

UNIQLO Metrotown: Finally!

Within a span of 41 days Metrotown debuted two of Japan's hottest retail exports to Western Canada. With the same enthusiasm we greeted MUJI, Vancouver showed UNIQLO the TLC that it deserves by showing up in droves. I had no intention of going on opening day, since I've witnessed the fandom that is MUJI's grand opening, but in my mission to track a particular pair of sneakers, I decided to take this side quest and check it out.

At first I saw a short line-up that started at the lower level and made its way up via the non-operational escalator. Groups of 20-30 people were herded into the store at a time but there was still a wait, so I decided to go elsewhere. When I came back about a half hour later, the line was gone and the stanchions open for free entry. So I took a gander.
UNIQLO grand opening at Metrotown. There was a steady stream of people piling in between the stanchions to gain access to the store. I was very patient to try and get a photo with as few obstructionists as possible. I'm happy with the consideration UNIQLO took when opening in Vancouver. The brand concept and the city compliment each other very well.
Taken mid-afternoon on opening day, Friday. While the lineup dwindled as crowd control eased, the rows of stanchions are remnants of the tremendous morning queue, and demonstrates UNIQLO's immense popularity in Vancouver. Not sure if the line went outside at any point in time, but no surprised if it did.
A quiet moment outside at the lower level, the commotion was all inside. The store is very open, with only load-bearing pillars flanking the sweeping entrances at both levelshence the stanchions to bottleneck entry and control the crowd.
After walking down the stairs, this is the scene to my left.

With the exception of that little patch of free space on the right, the store was full with customers. While the floor was difficult to navigate at times, and people were bumping into one another, the atmosphere remained civil and everyone focused on shopping.
... in front of me.
... and to my right.
I love the simplicity of the central glass display on the ground floor. Using a big lenticular picture as a backdrop, there appears to be two different  images of False Creek during different times of the day, depending on where one stands; the layered style of each manikin reflecting the often unpredictable autumn transition, and the casual Vancouver vibe.
On the other side of the central glass display, another lenticular backdrop shows both downtown Seymour Street from Georgia, and the beautiful British Columbian landscape; the manikins communicating the utility and versatility of UNIQLO's "Vancouver + Lifewear" campaign. Indeed it is a natural union.

I personally was more stoked about whether or not UNIQLO Metrotown was getting its JW Anderson collaboration. Sure enough, they delivered. The entrance at the top level is dedicated to "Women's and Men's Special" and is where every piece from JW Anderson is on salewith legit merchandising efforts, too! I'm hoping they do another +J release in the near future.
Floor plans are located throughout to assist with navigating around the just over 20,630 sq. ft. store.
Another point of excitement for me is the Christophe Lemaire-designed UNIQLO U line. Both he and Jonathan Anderson design eponymous mainlines that retail for ten to 20-times the cost of UNIQLO's merchandise. With UNIQLO U, you get a solid representation of Lemaire's design at UNIQLO prices—a good way to acquaint with his mainline.
UNIQLO U Hi-Cut Sneakers
The KAWS × Peanuts collaboration is sold out on the US website, and Canada doesn't even have an e-commerce platform set up; there were a few styles of t-shirts remaining on the racks from what I saw. These minor but quality Hypebeast-worthy collaborations is what makes UNIQLO different from other fast fashion retailers. A lot of it is simple t-shirts and sweatshirts, but the willingness of artists and other brands, like Disney, to partner with UNIQLO says something about its brand equity.
I didn't purchase anything on my visit. It was way too chaotic for me to do any browsing, let alone actual shopping. I spent most of my time looking at the JW Anderson, and trying to find my way around the store through the maze of people. Downstairs at the lower level, I looked through what was left of the UNIQLO U. The fleece "cardigan" sold out fast; not even featured online anymore, stupid trends... Cashier lineup was 50+ people long; likewise on the fitting room line. Opening day is never the best time to go, but it's always fun to see the fanfare and observe the mob.

1 comment: