Connect


Tuesday 3 October 2017

The Runway at Winners

As Fashion Month draws to a close with Paris Fashion Week, retailers have been unloading unsold sales and clearance merchandise to make room for spring collections. Not coincidently, Winners concurrently launches their steeply discounted Runway “collection”. Unfortunately for me, after so many seasons I still fail to figure out when Winners releases their Runway collection. I’m not very bright for not putting their simultaneous occurrences together... Before I would only see what was left over after everything has been ransacked by early-bird enthusiasts and resellers. I also figured out that there are only three Winners locations that carry Runway for men: Downtown Vancouver, Park Royal, and, to a lesser extent, Cambie St. × 8th Ave.

What stock and brands they carry varies depending on the available bulk to buy. Sometimes they have tonnes of designer shoes (I still have episodes of regret for not buying that pair of Saint Laurent Paris black suede ankle boot a few years back), other times outerwear heavy; this season had a good mix of everything except shoes.

Like the general concept of Winners one must sift through a lot of excess before finding anything noteworthy. In the case of Runway, that excess comes in the form of Theory, Vince, rag & bone, and especially G-Star RAW. There are more of those brands than anything else, which, when you're going up against heavy hitting designers, you become the dregs of Runway. I went through the stuffed racks at Park Royal and Downtown Vancouver several times throughout September and saw some items I liked, or were of note.

Downtown: This Alexander McQueen moth embroidered sweatshirt in small, as of this writing, is still available at FarFetch for CAD$699. There is no scenario where I'd wear this, but still cool to see. I just think the novelty of the embroidered Death's-Head Hawkmoth wears off after one outing.
Downtown: Now this is a timeless piece. The original price of this made in Italy Diesel Black Gold chunky fisherman cable knit was still attached. Winners' price tag is a criminally bargain CAD$90that's over 85% off! I'm usually a small, but I tried it on because I thought I could wear it big and loose, but the body was a tad too long and too loose for me; not the look I envisioned. If it were a medium, then I may have given in to temptation. A small? it would be neatly folded in my fall rotation.
I said rag & bone, but that's not to say they didn't have some nice pieces. It's just all the henleys and patterned button up shirts got in the way of this 100% cashmere jumper. It was soft and cushy on the body, and in my size, though I don't think the "made in China" label justified a still-reduced CAD$300 tag. I have a feeling this is from many seasons ago. Would totally consider buying if it dropped another 50%. Comparable cashmere sweaters go for CAD$525.

Park Royal: There was a rack of FENTY PUMA virtually untouched mixed in with some regular PUMA apparel. The only reason I saw this was because the rack was next to the men's Runway. The pencil skirt ran for about CAD$235, while the side lace-up sweats for CAD$200, and the Kimono Tricot Track Pant (not pictured) for about CAD$285. At Winners? CAD$60 for the skirt and lace-up sweats, and CAD$70 for the track pants. I want that damn skirt...
Park Royal: One of the more subtle but rich finds were these John Smedley knits. Known for their knitwear, John Smedley has been around for over 200 years, though few Canadian retailers carry them. I've only every seen and read about them on the internet, so to my surprise when I see them in person. This grey cotton knit is, I believe, their Hatfield pullover, which goes for $200 on Mr Porter, though in different colours. FarFetch has a different coloured Hatfield on sale for CAD$179, down from CAD$358. Winners is selling this one for CAD$70 or CAD$80, if I recall correctly. There were several other styles on the rack all going for the same price. I'd have gotten this grey one. If only people were aware, I think these would have been sold immediately.
Downtown and Park Royal: Some McQ bombers. The one of the left is available on YOOX for USD$650 (CAD$812.40). Winners priced it at CAD$600.

The beautiful MA-1 style bomber on the right is no longer on sale online, but Lyst last saw it on MatchesFashion for USD$571 (CAD$715.55). Presumably that's the sale price. Winners is selling it for CAD$700 if I remember correctly.
Downtown: Right at the entrance next to he ladies Runway/Contemporary are designer bags. I don't care for MCM. Most of their signature bags are superfluously gaudy; the logo generously splashed like a Jackson Pollock, though that's a reason why some people like them, not unlike the Louis Vuitton Damier or monogram phenomenon. This Dual Stark in Munich Blue went for CAD$800. Starks on FarFetch run between CAD$1,100 to CAD$1,450.

That is not the say the giant "FENDI" embossed across the bottom is any better, it just screams in a less attention-seeking manner. Winners definitely overpriced this Fendi backpack. At CAD$2,400 it's closer to retail price. Some of the current "Bag Bugs" or "FENDI Faces" backpacks retail for less than this bag is on "sale" at Winners. FENDI  > MCM.
Downtown: This all too adorable FENDI double micro baguette. Original Winners tag was for CAD$1,300, but some inconsiderate bum broke the shoulder strap so it was discounted a further 50% to CAD$650. There are many models of the double micro baguette, which run between CAD$2,280 and CAD$3,490. Should have taken a photo of the other side.
Marshalls: Still part of the TJX family! Marshalls does not carry any Runway for men at all, but they tend to have a decent shoe selection. The Saint Laurent Paris skeleton slip-ons were priced at CAD$250. LN-CC listed retail price at $695. According to Polyvore, SSENSE had it for CAD$335; sold out at Bergdorf and FarFetch, Don't really care for these glorified VANS. They aren't those damned zip ankle boots!

The Lanvin hightops on the right are meh; they look like Deisel hightops. Originally CAD$400 Winners price; clearance price of CAD$296.
These Moncler Horace chunky trainers are a sight for sore eyes. They go for CAD$626 on FarFetch, but Marshalls is selling them for half off! In my size! Those thick-ass soles boosts me to 6'0" even. I wish I could say I own these... The last time I was this excited at Marshalls I scored a pair of black Sandro TX-01 trainers for CAD$50.
Park Royal: I was really feeling this Engineered For Motion puffer coat. It would've been a smart addition to my business wear. This went for CAD$500
Downtown and Park Royal: Ah, this is the grail/unicorn piece! This Moncler Gamme Bleu reversible puffer actually came off the runway, but from the Fall-Winter 2015 collection—it can be seen carried by the model in look 28. This is one of those "I don't need it but I (desperately) want it" items. CAD$1,500 before VAT is still steep, but for Moncler Gamme Bleu it's (almost) a steal. Depending on where one looks to find something comparable, a Gamme Bleu puffer can run between CAD$2,860 to CAD$3,460 (SSENSE).
Love. This. Praying it will go on clearance soon as there is only one in my size. I would never have guessed that Moncler Gamme Bleu would make an appearance in the racks, so haphazardly hung on the hanger among lesser brands.
The next Runway won't be until the next Fashion Month, but I'm happy I finally figured out the cycle and can see some of the neat and unexpected items that come through. As some designers go rogue and show on their own terms, I reckon Winners' Runway collection may be a bit more spread out and sporadic as retailers unload to meet supply—or not, which is fine by me! Until next season!


Ciao!

1 comment: