Connect


Sunday 5 February 2017

Thrifting Adventure: Big John (Dad) Jeans (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Big John Jeans is one of Japan's oldest denim brands. It pioneered the introduction of
Americana to Japan after the Second World War.

Big John, then Marou Clothing Co., started importing Made in USA goods to eventually
manufacturing American-style clothing for the Japanese audience.
I started thrifting and buying vintage about two-and-a-half years ago when I moved into my current house. There's a Value Village (henceforth, VV) across the street and I visit every so often looking for deals and rare finds. Since it was snowing heavily today going anywhere far was out of the question. I wasn't looking for anything in particularI never do, especially when I go thrifting. That's the thrill of treasure hunting! The other thrill, though this one frustratingly so, is finding amazing items that aren't in your size, or don't fit properly... which was what happened today.

After 2½ hours of scouring and trying things on I ended up buying a charcoal Gloverall Morris Duffle Coat for just under $35 after VAT. Apart from some mild pilling and a minor tear in the lining the coat is in amazing condition. This is the second duffle coat I got from VV; the first being a rare camel from The Scotch House, defunct since 2001, for the same price. Ahhh... the high I get from finding gems like these, and the possibilities they contribute to my wardrobe. So why the angry crying face? The photo on the right, that's why.

This VV's denim rack (though arguably all of them...) is full of crap most (all) of the time, like fast fashion brands or cheap Levi's with the parchment patch—jeans that aren't worth thrifting because they are barely worth buying at full price. It's not like I need another pair of denim either, but I wanted to do a good run-through of the men's section (hence 2½ hours). There was a pair of Lee Union Made sanforised jeans, and a pair of poorly taken care of raw Evisu (it was folded weirdly resulting in the left leg having a long diagonal faded crease, which I'm guessing was the reason it was donated because otherwise it was in good condition). The pair that caught my attention, however, was this pair from Big John.



It may look like any old pair of Levi's but it was unique in subtle ways. I don't know my denim weights by heart, but these were heavier than your average mall offerings; I'd say on the higher end of mid-weight range. They were stiff, too, despite the heavy wash, but were malleable when worn (VV doesn't wash their incoming donations. Ew, but now you know). The reasons why I call these Big Johns dad jeans are because of its

  1. high rise; the waist hits right below my bellybutton
  2. straight leg cut
  3. uniform vintage wash
But damn it if they aren't the coolest dad jeans I've ever seen!

#Japanesedoitbetter

The raw selvedge 501s I'm trying to break in on the right

The thread used to construct this pair of Big John is noticeably thicker than the 501s I wore. The branded copper rivets are a nice detail, too, and you can tell from the slubs on the Big Johns that the denim is thicker than my 501s.


Beautiful patina

That's one thick-ass piece of rugged leather

Coveted MADE IN JAPAN
It's a no-brainer. Why wouldn't I snatch these?

Depending on the brand, I am a 29 or 30 waist. The price is mind-blowing when you consider a pair of new Big Johns runs from $200 to $300 USD retail price. So why didn't I pick these up? They were tight on my waist.

(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Standing could be bearable after a while, but when sitting the waist was restricting and uncomfortable. I could breathe, but I would be aware of the waistband digging into my belly (or it could mean I need to lose weight). I'm tempted to go back and check them out again. I mean, they could loosen up in the waist, right? There has to be some give left, I just need to break them into my own body... right?
.
.
.
and to add insult to injury...





Oh FFS...

This was a size 54 Italian, which translates to 38/39 US. They were practically new. I spent a minute examining the pants and it could've come straight off the Brunello Cucinelli rack. And this is the frustrating thing about thrifting. There are some unbelievable things to be found, sometimes by accident, like these Cucinelli flannel jean-trousers, which wasn't in my size range. I just happened upon it when I saw that beautiful brown patch and prayed that it was hung on the wrong size rack, but alas... disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment